- 16 ounces extra-firm or firm regular tofu
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2-3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- Small bunch of chives chopped (optional)
- 1/4teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon soy sauce or tamari
- Salt and ground black pepper
Remove tofu from container and drain excess water. Wrap in paper towels or a clean cloth and gently press until the tofu is moist but not wet. Crumble until the tofu resembles a scrambled egg texture. Set aside.
Heat oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute until slightly translucent, about 1 minute. Stir in scallions, turmeric, and soy sauce and cook until combined, about 10 seconds. Add tofu and stir-cook until evenly colored and still slightly moist, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. (Do not let tofu dry out or overcook.) Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Turn scramble out onto plates and serve immediately with whole grain toast, veggie sausage and fresh tomato.